Monday, March 5, 2012

Review: The Host by Stephenie Meyer



Book Blurb

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away.

Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves—Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.



REVIEW




I'll be honest and say that it took me a while to get into this book. I had tried to read it several years ago, got a few chapters in and just wasn't feeling it. I was confused about the characters and there didn't seem to be a lot going on. But, I picked it up again recently, thinking I would give it another go because a friend had raved about it. My second attempt at reading it was a completely different experience to the first attempt. I connected with Wanderer straight away and was delighted by her memories of other, strange worlds. Meyer's imagination knows no bounds in this novel and her writing is excellent. If I had been expecting something similar to 'Twilight' I would have been disappointed. This is no teen romance full of angst and vampires.

The characters of The Host, human and non-human, all brought their own dimension to the story and when Wanderer/Melanie discovers the human hideout, the fun really begins. The love triange/square in this book is second to none and had me sucked right in. I loved both of the male leads in this story and was pleasantly surprised at how Meyer was able to wrap the ending up nicely.

 The perspective that Wanderer brings as she views the humans as savages; violent and uncaring, is so different from the usual - humnas are better than all other beings - we usually get from sci-fi and I found it refreshing. I loved watching Wanderer begin to develop relationships with the humans and see the range of good-bad that lives in all of us.

I am giving this novel 5 hearts, despite our rocky beginings, because you can really see Meyer's growth as an author with this story. I stayed up late into the night reading (I physically couldn't put the book down) and spent days thinking about the story after it was finished. To me, you can ask no more of a book then to captivate your mind and imagination and The Host did that for me.

I believe there is a movie of this book in production and I can't wait. But I would definetly recomend reading this book (instead of just watching the movie). Trust me, it's worth the read!

Information

The Host can be purchased from AMAZON
All about Stephenie Meyer - WEBSITE

No comments:

Post a Comment